Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cookies for Breakfast

I was inspired by Katy (I love her blog - check it out if you haven't done so already) over at bigfootchildhavediabetes.com to try out a new cookie recipe:


Except that I didn't have any walnuts and I didn't have whole wheat pastry flour.
So I improvised and made a couple of tweaks and came up with this:

1.5 cups old fashioned quaker oats (81 CHO)
1 cup almond flour (24 CHO)
1 cup chopped peanuts (31 CHO)
1 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips -cuz we're dairy-free and mini = mo' fun (110 CHO)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (10 CHO)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup maple syrup (106 CHO)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet w/parchment paper. In large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In small bowl, mix wet ingredients. Stir wet into dry. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Scoop onto cookie sheet. As always, I use my pampered chef scoop so every cookie is the exact same size = exact same carb count. I also smooshed them down a bit since they don't spread.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Consume for breakfast.

Or lunch. Or snack. Or dinner. Or really whenever because these are so darned good.

Total Carb Count = 362. I made 26 BIG cookies using the big pampered chef scoop so each cookie = 14 CHO. My kids thought it was a blast to eat cookies & strawberries for breakfast.

1 comment: